Lentils are one of the easiest legumes to digest (especially if soaked overnight), cook quickly, and are a good source of protein. As with all legumes, the protein in lentils is easier to digest if combined with a whole grain, such as spelt noodles or brown rice.
This is a hearty, satisfying vegetarian meal… lighten it up a bit with a nice, big, green salad on the side. It’s nicest with fresh herbs and vine ripened tomatoes, and I like to add semi-dried tomatoes and tomato paste to make it richer.
1. Chop in Thermomix bowl for 5 seconds on speed 6:
– 1 onion, quartered
– 2 garlic cloves
– 1 carrot, quartered
– 1 celery stalk, quartered
2. Add oil and cook for 3 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 1:
– 30g extra virgin olive oil
3. Add tomatoes and chop for 5 seconds, speed 5:
– 400g fresh tomatoes, quartered (or can use tinned – if already crushed, don’t chop again)
4. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 15 mins, 100 degrees, reverse speed 1:
– 250g red lentils
– 100g semi-dried tomato strips (opt.)
– 550g water
– 2 Tbspns vege stock concentrate or 2 tsp vege stock powder
– 2 Tbspns tomato paste (opt.)
– 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
– 1 tsp Rapadura
– 1/2 to 1 tsp dried oregano, or fresh to taste
– 1/2 to 1 tsp dried basil, or fresh to taste
– herb or sea salt
– freshly ground pepper
5. Serve over spelt or rice pasta, or brown rice, with a green salad.