1. Preheat oven to 200° C (400° F).
2. Place in food processor/Thermomix:
• 1 tablespoon dry instant yeast
• 500g (approx. 18 oz) spelt flour (half w/meal half white is nice)
• 1 t salt
• 65 ml (2 fl oz) olive oil
• 3 teaspoons sugar or 2 t honey
• 265 ml (9 fl. oz) warmish water
3. Process on medium speed for 10 seconds, or until mixed in, then on kneading setting for 2 or 3 mins, adding more flour if needed, until dough is soft and springy, but not sticky. (Or knead by hand, approx. 10 mins.)
4. Leave in processor to rest while preparing toppings.
5. Divide dough in two, and roll out to fit two large pizza trays. If you like thick, bready bases, add toppings, leave for 20 mins, then cook. If you like thin bases, add toppings and cook straight away. Takes about 15 mins to cook, or until ready.
(pick a spread and try different variations of toppings – the more the merrier, except when it comes to a great mushroom, garlic, olive oil & mozzarella topping – my favouite!)
• Spread base with: tomato paste / pizza sauce / olive oil & fresh minced garlic / baba ghanoush (roasted eggplant & garlic dip)
• Sprinkle with mixed herbs / garlic powder / fresh chopped garlic / chopped onion, capsicum, olives, fetta cheese, fresh bocconcini, parmesan, ham, pineapple, sun-dried tomatoes, chargrilled eggplant or capsicum, anchovies, whisked raw eggs, etc…
• Top with shredded mozzarella or a little fresh parmesan if you can have it.
Dairy free toppings
• pesto; grilled eggplant, zucchini, mushroom and onion slices (brush w/ olive oil & crushed garlic, bake 5 mins in hot oven); roasted red pepper / sun-dried tomatoes; fresh tomato slices; chopped olives; fresh or dried basil & oregano.
Salad Pizza Bread
• Spray pizza bases with olive oil spray & prebake.
• Chop up 2 cups mixed lettuce leaves, 2 cups fresh tomatoes, 1 cup chopped avocado & 1/2 cup chopped red onions, and mix together in large bowl.
• Mix together in small bowl: 3 T red wine vinegar, 2 T fesh lemon juice, 1 t raw honey, 1 t sea salt, 2 T water, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 t each of dried oregano, dried basil, freshly ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes (opt); add 1/4 cup olive oil and whisk thoroughly. Pour over veges, mix in, spread on base, slice and enjoy!
I have another dairy free topping that’s my favourite, and you don’t even notice the cheese missing – I’ve lent out the recipe book, so I’ll post that one next week.