Carob Cake with Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free IcingMay 15, 2009
Avocado Topping for a Dairy Free PizzaMay 25, 2009
Orange Almond Cake
I’m not sure what I love most about this cake – the delightful smell that permeates the whole house while it cooks, or the soft, moist texture, or the tangy-sweet orange flavour!
I don’t bother to boil the oranges for the ‘Boiled Orange and Almond’ cake in the Thermomix Everyday Cookbook – why bother boiling oranges for 40 minutes when it’s fresher tasting and just as yummy this way? Not to mention MUCH quicker!! I also add a few more ‘tweaks’ along the way to reduce the sugar, and make it a healthier version of the original.
This is a cake that everyone will enjoy, whether they’re used to eating gluten free or not. It is also dairy free and naturally sweetened. You can use two oranges, or an orange and a lime, orange and lemon… whatever combination you like. If you use lemon-lime, you will need to increase the Rapadura and/or stevia a little.
Flourless Orange Almond Cake
- 250g (8.8 oz) raw almonds, skin on
- 2 oranges, preferably organic (or 1 orange, 1 lime/lemon) washed, thick ends sliced off, quartered and de-seeded (no need to peel)
- 6 eggs
- 100g Rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp green stevia powder (can be omitted and sugar adjusted to taste)
- 1 tsp ground lemon myrtle (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- juice or one orange or lemon
- 30g Rapadura or coconut sugar (60g for lemon syrup), and
- Grind almonds in Thermomix for 10 sec/speed 8.
- Add oranges (limes/lemons) and blend another 20 sec/speed 8.
- Add eggs, sugar, stevia and lemon myrtle, and mix 30 secs/speed 5.
- Mix in baking powder just until combined, 5 sec/speed 5.
- Pour mixture into a large, lined, rectangular baking dish, or two 20cm round cake tins, or you could use some mini Bundt tins like I did.
- Bake at 190 degrees C (370 degrees F) for about 30 mins, until browned and knife inserted comes out clean.
- Pour juice into Thermomix bowl, add sugar, and cook 2 mins/100C/speed 2.
- Drizzle syrup over cake and serve warm.
Quirky Cooking https://www.quirkycooking.com.au/
Orange almond cake