Chocolate (or Carob) Almond Smoothie

Meatball, Vege & Bean Soup
August 10, 2009
Sunny Scalloped Eggs & Broccoli (or Silverbeet)
August 12, 2009

We often have smoothies for either breakfast or morning tea – they’re great for energy, and a quick way to fill up hungry tummies. We don’t use milk, just nuts and seeds with water to make nut milk, plus either fruit and ice, or chocolate or carob powder. The kids asked for a chocolate milkshake this morning, so here’s my healthy version.

First, grind up in your Thermomix on speed 9 for about 10 seconds:
– 80g raw almonds
– 20-30g of seeds – pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseeds, chia seeds (opt)

Add dates and grind again on speed 9 for 10 seconds:
– 80-100g dates (depending how sweet you like it)

Add ice and grind another 10 seconds on speed 9:
– 2 trays of ice cubes (or more if you want it thicker)

Add other ingredients to the bowl, and blend on speed 9 for a minute:
– 600-800g water
– 30g raw cacao or carob powder
You’ll probably end up with some chewy bits of dates at the bottom, so just scoop them out with a spoon and eat them – delicious!

For a chocolate (or carob) ‘green’ smoothie, add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach or butter lettuce, and some pieces of frozen avocado… I make this for the kids and they have no idea it has spinach in it! 😉

To make a chocolate (or carob) banana smoothie, you just use frozen chunks of banana instead of the ice – no other sweetener needed.

1. Susan says:

You know I’ve started saving all your recipes, don’t you Jo 🙂 XX

2. Ang Pang says:

I’ll have to try throwing some nuts, seeds in our smoothies next time 🙂 We have them a lot too. I also like to add coconut cream- makes it very smooth and creamy. PLus egg yolks if you’re keen !

3. Bel says:

My kids LOVE you. 🙂

4. Cat J B says:

Just curious, why the dates? I love dates and so do the kids, we eat them by the handful. Is it for sweetness? Mmmm, I want to try this!

5. Jo says:

Thanks Susan! Hope you enjoy them!

Hi Ang – I often put in a raw egg too, for extra protein and energy – don’t tell the kids!

You’re sweet, Bel – hope the kids enjoy it!

Hi Cat – I use the dates for extra sweetness, to cut down on Rapadura, and because they’re so good for energy. We eat them by the handful too, and I often add them (ground up) to cakes and cut down the other sweeteners.

6. Cathy says:

As avid milk drinkers (should probably cut back), I was skeptical of a milk free milkshake. But true to form, you’ve come through Jo. This was delicious and so filling. I also added a tablespoon of sesame seeds as per your suggestion on your other smoothie recipe. I made sure DH didn’t have any idea of ingredients and he couldn’t believe it when I told him. Best chocolate milkshake ever – so thick, creamy and filling – and healthy! So much better than protein powder shakes!

I’m so glad you tried it Cathy – I know it sounds weird, but it is yummy, isn’t it! 🙂

8. Amanda says:

Mmmm yummy! This milk-free chocolate smoothie is sure to replace my craving for a milk milo in the afternoons! I used Crio Bru granules and ground them up instead of using all cocoa and it was superb! Thanks for another outstanding recipe Jo!! When are you putting out a cook book??

Mmmmy, Crio Bru would be great in this one – good idea!! I’m working on my book, but it’s taking me a while… 🙂

10. Jules says:

I was just thinking I’d love a book by you! Just wondering, how come cocoa and not cacao? Love your site 🙂

Thanks Jules 🙂 This was a bit of an old recipe and I do use raw cacao now, not cocoa, so I’ve changed that – thanks! (I’ve also reduced the rapadura, as I don’t use so much any more!! But it’s to taste, anyway, so put however much you like.)
    Jo 🙂

12. angeelinee says:

Hi there!

I assume the almonds, dates & water are to make the nut milk. If I already have a carton of almond milk at home, how would I modify this recipe?

Help!
    Thank you!

13. angeelinee says:

Hi there!

I assume the almonds, dates, and water are for the nut milk. If I already have a carton of almond milk in hand, how would I modify this recipe? Help!

Thanks!

14. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo,
    Had some lovely raw milk that needed to be used, straight from the farm. My kids don’t like super cold things so I skipped the ice cubes and just threw in the dates, cacao powder and some chia seeds for goodness. They loved it, so nice to have a chocolate milk recipe that the kids love and is actually wholesome to boot!!
    Tam 🙂

15. […] This smoothie is based on an old favourite of ours, my Chocolate (or Carob) Almond Smoothie. […]

16. I am so glad I have found you. Your site is aweome. I just made a chocolate smootie for 6 of my kids and they loved it. Even the fussy ones. Thank you.