This is an easy breakfast if you’re an early riser – it took an hour and a half from beginning to end (but only about 10 minutes of actual work). If you’re not an early riser, have it for morning or afternoon tea! (I use my Thermomix, which makes it very quick. If you have to make it by hand it will of course take longer.)
Fruit-Filled Breakfast Brioche
400g unbleached plain spelt flour
2 tsp (or one sachet of instant dry yeast)
40g oil (or butter)
1 egg (optional)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
150g rice/almond milk (or other milk) (approx – check as you mix to see if you need more milk or more flour)
4 cups roasted fruit (or one tin of canned fruit)
1. Place flour, yeast, honey, oil, egg, salt and milk into a Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds/ speed 6.
2. Mix on interval speed for 3 minutes, wrap in bread mat (or place in oiled bowl and cover), and rise in a cold oven for 20-30 minutes with a shallow pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven to create steam.
3. Remove from oven and roll dough into a circle, about 1cm thick. Place dough on a pizza tray lined with baking paper. Spoon cooked, tinned fruit onto centre of dough, and fold dough over it, into the centre, leaving a hole so you can still see some of the fruit.
4. Place tray back in a cold oven and turn it onto 180C, (less if fan forced). (Leave the pan of hot water in the oven.) Leave to bake for about 25 minutes, checking towards the end and turning tray so it browns evenly. May need a little more time – lift brioche up a little to check if it’s browned underneath.
5. Slip onto a large plate, slice like a pie and serve hot!