Quick Yeast-Free Spelt Bread

Dairy-Free Spelt Scones
September 28, 2009
chocolate hazelnut spread quirky cooking
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
October 30, 2009

This recipe is a lot like my scone dough recipe. In fact, that’s what it started out as, but it kind of morphed into this! If you want to make damper, you pretty much just use the scone recipe and shape the dough into a ball, flatten it slightly, cut a cross into the top, brush with milk, and cook it. But this time I did it a little differently – I used hot Almond-Sunflower Seed milk and olive oil, and it changed the consistency to a much more bread-like, less crumbly loaf. We loved it! The outside was crisp and the inside soft, and it was quicker than making yeast bread. Perfect for breakfast, spread with a thick layer of avocado, some herb salt, and lots of freshly-ground pepper – yum!

1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius.

2. Make a batch of Almond-Sunflower Seed milk (or heat your choice of milk to 50 degrees) and set aside.

3. Weigh into Thermomix bowl and mix on speed 6 for 6 seconds (no need to dry bowl unless you want to grind part of the grain first):
– 440g plain unbleached spelt flour (can use partly wholemeal spelt flour)
– 4 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp sea salt

4. Add oil and mix for a few seconds on speed 5:
– 60g olive oil

5. Add and mix for 5 seconds on speed 5, until dough roughly comes together:
– 230g warm Almond-Sunflower Seed milk
– 1 tsp apple cider vinegar

6. Set dial to closed lid position and mix for 20 seconds on interval speed, until dough forms a soft ball. (Should spring back when you poke it – if too sticky, add some more flour.)

7. Turn dough onto lightly floured bread mat and form into a smooth ball. (The dough will be slightly bouncy, like bread dough, not too soft and sticky like scone dough.) Transfer dough to a floured oven tray. Flatten slightly, and cut a 2cm deep cross into top of ball with a sharp knife. Brush with some more of the warm milk and place tray in hot oven.

8. Cook for 10 minutes on 220 degrees, then 20 minutes on 180 degrees. Bread should be nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped underneath. Leave to cool for a few minutes before slicing.

1. Thermomixer says:

Spelt damper – yummo – would have been good in the Dutch ovens at camp!

2. Jo says:

Yes, except we had it pretty easy at camp – we had a commercial kitchen!

3. Rebecca says:

Can one use another non-dairy milk?

4. Jo says:

Yes Rebecca, you can use any milk really – I just use the one I make myself.

5. Anonymous says:

How do you think this would go with Rye Flour?

I think you might need to use just part rye flour, plus some white flour (I’d use unbleached spelt) as rye is very heavy and moist. Maybe 1/4 rye, 3/4 unbleached plain spelt? See how you go! 🙂

7. Anne. says:

I have tried several bread recipes and this is the first one I have liked, loved! It is easy and delicious. made exactly as per recipe, including the milk which is also wonderful.
    Anne.

8. Marlene says:

Hi Jo,
    I have just found your page. I am about to embark on a sugar free dairy free and wheat free diet for my son. He is 15 and has been on Ritalin for 7yrs. With the help of my natropath we are trying to see if we can get him off the medication successfully. Its a little daunting starting on this. I do have a thermo but looking at the receipes where do you source your natural ingredients ?

Hi Anne, that’s great! So glad you liked it 🙂

Hi Marlene, good for you – it’s so important to get kids on a good diet, and makes such a difference to their health and behaviour. Have a look at my post on ‘bulk buying’ – there’s lots of links there to online places to buy ingredients. http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/bulk-food-buying-co-ops.html

Jo 🙂

10. Rebecca says:

Hi Jo,
    Can you tell me what the vinegar does as I can’t have vinegar!
    The recipe looks great 🙂

11. Rebecca says:

Thanks Jo 🙂

12. Adriana says:

I just made these from your recipe book, but they taste more like scones. What have I done wrong? Thanks

13. Gilda Perez says:

My daughter give this bread to try and I love it, so I got the recipe I will make it today, I have IBS I don’t know what to eat sometime so I try to change a few things the way I eat thank you

14. Summer says:

Hi Quirky! Thank you for your fabulous recipes 🙂
    I have just made this and we love it, only thing its real crumbly .. do you think I have done something wrong? Could I put Xanthum Gum in to prevent this?
    Many thanks and love