Kedgeree – a sunshiney, lemony rice and fish dish.
Kedgeree is great for an Easter Brunch, or a light meal. Add some steamed veges or salad, and you’ve got a full meal. This is my easy Thermomix version – the rice, eggs, fish and veges can steam all at once, saving time, power and dishes!
You can make Kedgeree with either basmati rice or brown rice, and with either tinned fish or fresh/smoked fish. If using tinned tuna or salmon, or smoked salmon, you stir it in at the end. If using fresh fish, you can steam it in the Varoma at the same time as you’re cooking the rice and eggs in the rice basket. If you’re using tinned tuna or salmon, the ingredients are just things you usually have in the fridge and cupboard all the time… It’s nice to have some simple, standby recipes like this for when you need a spur-of-the-moment meal! But for something a bit more special, like Easter, try fresh smoked salmon – it’s so good.
- 900g water (1200g water for brown rice)
- 350g basmati rice (or 300g brown rice)
- 3 or 4 eggs (make sure shells are clean)
- peel of half a lemon (peel thin strips with peeler)
- handful of fresh parsley
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 30g olive oil or butter
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- juice of half a lemon
- 425g can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked (or red salmon)
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- Pour water into TMX bowl, add the rice basket, weigh rice into basket and carefully place eggs onto the rice. Cook at Varoma temperature for 18 minutes, (35 minutes for brown rice), speed 4.
- Remove eggs, rinse under cold water, and peel. Remove rice basket and empty into Thermoserver or serving bowl - cover to keep warm. Empty water out of TMX bowl, rinse and dry.
- Chop peel lemon & parsley in TMX for 10 seconds, speed 8 and set aside in a small bowl.
- Chop garlic in TMX for 5 seconds, speed 7, then add onion and chop for 3 seconds, speed 5. Add oil or butter and saute on 100 degrees, 2 minutes, speed 1.
- Add spices and lemon juice; cook at 100 degrees, 1 minute, speed 1.
- Add boiled eggs and chop on speed 3 for 3 seconds.
- Tip rice into a large serving bowl, add the tuna and all the rest of the ingredients, and fold in. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Quirky Cooking https://www.quirkycooking.com.au/
[Optional extra: if you can eat cream, drizzle about 3 tablespoons of cream in before folding ingredients together. If you want a little more moisture and can’t have dairy, you could use some coconut cream or cashew cream, or just a little nut milk.]