Easter Cooking & Menu PlanApril 11, 2010
Homemade MayonnaiseApril 25, 2010
Mmmm… sorbet for breakfast!
Here’s a different version of sorbet that’s a lot more filling, and perfect for breakfast or an energizing morning tea snack! My friend Nancy came up with the idea (inspired by the muesli and protein shakes in Cyndi O’Meara’s cookbook Changing Habits Changing Lives),and I’ve changed it a little to make it dairy free and a bit more ‘chewy’. Nancy’s version has a good dollop of natural yoghurt in it, which is nice if you can handle yoghurt – or if you want to you can use coconut cream instead. I add sultanas at the end for a bit of sweet chewiness, and sprinkle some chopped nuts on top. If you can’t be bothered you can add them all at once with everything else. Feel free to play with the ingredients and amounts, but don’t fill the bowl too full, as it makes it difficult to mix.
- 40g raw almonds/macadamias/cashews
- 30g coconut flakes or rolled oats
- 25g seeds - pepitas, sunflower, linseeds, chia seeds
- 30g tahini
- 30g sultanas
- 250g ice
- 250g frozen mixed berries
- 250g frozen bananas, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 40g pure maple syrup or raw honey (or to taste)
- 50g yoghurt or coconut cream (optional)
- 30g sultanas
- 30g chopped nuts (I like pecans)
- Toss raw almonds/macadamias/cashews, rolled oats or quinoa flakes, seeds, tahini, sultanas, ice into your Thermomix bowl (weighing them if you want to be particular!), and grind on speed 9 for about 30 seconds, using the spatula to assist.
- Next add the berries and grind them up on speed 9 for about 15 seconds.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and mix on speed 9 for about 2 minutes, using spatula, mixing until creamy.
- For extra yumminess, add some extra sultanas and/or chopped nuts and stir on speed 3 until mixed in, or sprinkle them on top.
- For a smoother version, grind up the dry ingredients first (seeds, nuts, oats/quinoa) until fine; add ice and grind; add frozen berries and grind; then add remaining ingredients.
Quirky Cooking https://www.quirkycooking.com.au/
P.S. Freeze any leftovers in a sealed container or ice cube trays. When you’re ready to use it, thaw for a few minutes and remix in Thermomix to whip it up again.