Salmon Salad Pizza
We had a great time at the ‘Master Thermy Chef Challenge’ last night – we had teams cooking against each other from a mystery box of ingredients, and we had 30 minutes (and two Thermomixes) to prepare/cook three dishes. My team had in our box: a turnip, a piece of pumpkin, an orange, some soy sauce, some golden syrup, garlic, a tin of lemon salmon and a sprig of rosemary. Our theme was ‘Celebrate’, and we had to make a sorbet, a bread and a main! (Thankfully, we were allowed to add a few ingredients to the ones in our box!) It was a lot of fun, and our team WON!! Yay! If any of you locals would like to have a go at the next cooking class, let me know.
It was a bit of a challenge making a bread, a main, and a sorbet, from scratch in 30 minutes, but we managed it – with 30 seconds to spare! The quickest bread we could think of was a pizza bread, so we decided to use the salmon and garlic for that, and added raw salad greens to make it a kind of entree. It turned out really yummy. Here it is, a great, quick meal for when you’re running out of time but want something healthy and delicious!
Note: Our other recipes were Meatballs in Turnip and Pumpkin Sauce, and Chocolate Orange Sorbet… you knew I had to get chocolate in there somewhere, didn’t you!! Recipes coming soon for those…
If you have them, place 2 pizza stones in oven and preheat oven to 250 degrees. (If not, it will still work – pizza stones just help make a crisper crust.)
- 2 Tblspns extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 x 95g tins of lemon salmon, drained & flaked
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated roughly
- 100g of sliced Kalamata olives
- a few handfuls of salad greens (rocket, mizuna, tatsoi, baby spinach, etc)
- 500g spelt flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 60g oil
- 2 tsp of yeast
- 270g water
- 2 Italian tomatoes (quartered)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- small handful of fresh basil
- small handful fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp rapadura
- Pinch of sea salt
- 80g tomato paste
- 1/2 a fresh chilli, deseeded (optional)
- ½ red onion
- Handful Italian parsley
- handful fresh basil
- 2 Tblspns extra virgin olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all base ingredients in Thermomix, 6 seconds, speed 6. Knead for 1 ½ mins on interval setting. Wrap in thermomat (or in an oiled bowl and cover) and set aside until sauce is ready. OR, cook base on it's own and top with raw sauce & other toppings once it's done.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in Thermomix, 4 seconds, speed 6. Remove to a large bowl, set aside.
- Divide dough in two, roll out into two circles and place on lined or oiled pizza trays. Drizzle with oil.
- Spread sauce over pizzas, leaving about 3 tablespoons in bowl for salad; flake salmon over, and sprinkle with grated mozzarella. (Mozarella is optional - if you can't have dairy it tastes fine without it.)
- Place pizzas in oven on pizza stones and bake until crisp, about 15 mins.
- While pizzas are baking, chop salad toppings in Thermomix, 3 seconds, sp 5.
- Toss salad topping ingredients together with olives & greens in bowl with reserved sauce.
- Sprinkle salad topping over pizza, slice, and serve.