Dairy Free Raw Chocolate

Steamed Chocolate Mudcakes with Orange Sabayon
November 4, 2010
Christmas Jelly Salad
Christmas Jelly Salad
November 23, 2010
dairy free raw chocolate with almonds quirky cooking

Dairy free raw chocolate, with roasted almonds

You may have noticed I’m a bit of a chocolate addict – good chocolate, that is, not the cheap ‘chocolate-flavoured’ stuff – I love REAL chocolate, with cacao butter and 70% organic cocoa and natural sweeteners.  As I mentioned in my first post about making my own chocolate, I really try and avoid refined sugar, dairy and soy, and they are in most chocolates, even a lot of the ‘healthy’ ones.  So I started making my own.  They were okay, but not quite the right texture.

Then I found this gluten-free, dairy-free recipe for Raw Chocolate made with cacao butter and raw cacao. I played around with the recipe, and this is what I came up with. It’s very simple, and you can add in whatever additions you like to make all sorts of delicious variations! You can use more or less sweetener and cacao to taste. I like mine really dark, so just reduce the cacao if you don’t want quite so much of a dark taste.

raw chocolate quirky cooking

Raw chocolate

Make sure your bowl, blades, lid and lid seal are REALLY dry before you begin – water and chocolate don’t mix!

Dairy Free Raw Chocolate

dairy free raw chocolate quirky cooking
  • Author: Quirky Cooking
Scale

Ingredients

• 200g raw cacao butter (eg. Loving Earth Raw Cacao Butter)
  • 5060g raw cacao powder (or to taste)
  • 100g raw honey or pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or natural extract
  • 1/8 tsp fine sea salt

Instructions

1. Chop cacao butter roughly with a knife on a chopping board, to approx. 1-2cm cubes. Place cacao butter into mixing bowl. Mill 20 sec/speed 8.
  2. Melt cacao butter for 10 mins/37°/speed 2, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula towards end of cooking time to ensure all the cacao butter is melted.
  3. Add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and continue cooking 10 mins/37°/speed 1.
  4. Mix chocolate 10 sec/speed 5 to blend honey or syrup in, then pour into lined dish or chocolate molds or onto a tray for a thin chocolate bark.
  5. Place in the freezer immediately to set, as it will separate if you set it at room temperature.

Notes

• You can use other sweeteners, whatever you prefer, to your own taste. Just be aware that if you use a ‘sugar’ like Rapadura or coconut sugar, you may find that it separates. (If this happens, stir in 30g coconut cream until mixture comes together.)
  • You can replace half the cacao butter with cold pressed coconut oil if you want to make a cheaper chocolate – but just be aware that it will melt really easily and needs to be kept in the freezer.

Additions

If you’d like nuts or fruit in your chocolate, sprinkle them over the lined tray or in the chocolate molds, then pour chocolate over the top.  Place in the freezer to set.

Here’s some ideas for additions:

– activated nuts (soaked then dehydrated), or roasted: hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts

– raw cacao nibs

– sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat, made into little chocolate buckwheat ‘cakes’

– dried fruit: cherries, blueberries, apricots, ginger, cranberries

– pretzels (chocolate drizzled over salty gf pretzels is delish!)

– a mixture of above fillings!

You can also stir into the chocolate:

– shredded coconut

– spices: cinnamon, chilli, cardamom, ginger…

– edible essential oils: peppermint, orange, lemon, cinnamon… just a few drops

Swirl through the chocolate:

nut butter (or pour a little chocolate into a mold, let it set, add a dab of nut butter, then pour chocolate over to fill molds; or fill with chocolate hazelnut spread

– sunflower seed butter

dulce de leche

Ice Magic

Here’s one more thing you can make with your fresh batch of chocolate!

Mix 100g of the chocolate with 50g of coconut oil, add a little more pure maple syrup if you think it needs it, and melt 2 mins/37C/speed 2, or until melted and mixed together. Pour into a jar and keep it in the cupboard, and you have instant ‘Ice Magic’ for whenever you want it!

It hardens immediately when you pour it over ice cream or sorbet, and the kids love it. Ok, so do the adults.

(If it’s cold weather and it hardens in the cupboard, just set the jar into a bowl of boiling water to melt it before using.)

cacao butter quirky cooking

Cacao butter

raw chocolate quirky cooking

Chocolate almond cups

raw chocolate quirky cooking

Hazelnut chocolate

homemade ice magic (instant chocolate shell) quirky cooking

Homemade ‘Ice Magic’ (instant chocolate shell)

1. Oh my goodness – literally! Chocolate that is made from raw and/or unrefined ingredients and all their goodness… fabulous! Thanks Jo for this Quirky Cooking recipe for Thermomix lovers and chocolate lovers. What a great combination!

You’re welcome! 😀

3. Oh yummy! I am really looking forward to trying this. I’m guessing I will have to sweeten ours a little more though. You are so hard-core when it comes to dark chocolate!!! 🙂

Yeah, I know, I love it dark!!! 😀

5. Alisa says:

Absolutely love raw chocolate!! Here are more recipes for chocolate lovers (all the fun and none of the bad stuff)
    Check ’em out

Thank you Alisa – those recipe look great!

7. Kassondra says:

I have just made this with scorched almonds, cointreau and cardamon! I can’t wait to taste it!! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe, and all your others! 🙂

Hope you like it Kassondra – your version sounds great! 😀

9. Miss Grunge says:

The raw chocolate flavoured with chili that Jo made in Perth was addictive – so delicious!

10. Bek says:

Brilliant. Need to give that a go. Love going through your blog. The only thing you are missing is a ‘print’ button. That would make filing these awesome recipes so much easier. You really make my life so much easier with having special diets to cater for. Thanks!!

Thank you Bek!! Yes, I need to get onto that printing option… need some time to work on my blog!

12. Anonymous says:

was wondering if you know if you can make raw cacao powder yourself? Is it just a matter of milling the raw beans? Ta Sharon

Hi Sharon! To make the cacao powder, the cacao beans are fermented, and cold-pressed to remove the fat (cacao butter). This makes the powder ‘hydroscopic’, so it dissolves easily in liquids. To make chocolate you need to mix cacao powder back in with the cacao butter and sweetener.

So… I guess you could make chocolate the old-fashioned Aztec way of cold-pressing the beans and mixing in a sweetener, and you’d have a rough version of chocolate! I saw it on a documentary once – very interesting how they used to do it! But I haven’t tried it that way myself. Not sure if it would be as smooth – didn’t look like it was. But very pure! 🙂

If you just mill the raw beans you’ll get a fatty, chocolatey powder, not as dry as the cacao powder you buy. (See photo in link below.) I use the milled beans/nibs in raw cacao bliss balls – divine!! http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/walnut-raw-cacao-nib-bliss-balls.html

Hope that helps, Jo 🙂

Sharon, just had this comment on my facebook page:

“We made pure organice chocolate while in Peru in May with a local family just by putting the roasted beans through an old fashioned mincer with as much sugar as you wanted to add. Bellisimo!!” (Bridget)

Sounds like something that could easily be done in the Thermomix! Must try it 🙂

15. Tenina says:

Yummy…got to send you my new product that I am a fan of; Crio Bru…new to OZ, and soooo healthy…chocolate and delish. This article appeared in my new online Paper, The Thermomixtress! hahaha

16. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo!
    Just letting you know I am making this… and am going off the printed version – except I missed that you need to grind the rapadura with the vanilla bean at the beginning because the printed version doesn’t mention it (weird!). I picked this up because the next step (melt cacao butter) doesn’t have how much cacao butter so came onto your blog to see if I could find it – and discovered I had missed the previous step too.
    🙂
    Kim.

17. Marie says:

I was referred to your blog by a friend… and OH MY am I in heaven! I am having my Thermy Demo this week and hoping it will be enough to close the deal with hubby for us to get one. I think I need to show him this recipe and the Double Whammy Choc cake too… if anything is going to sell him on it its these!! Having to go DF and GF now I NEED a thermy, but the $$ are making hubby a little apprehensive 😉 Thank you so much for your blog… its AWESOME!

Oh, thank you Marie!! I’m so glad you’re finding recipes you like – I really hope your hubby can see the worth of the Thermomix, it would be such a help to you. Did you see the tab at the top for dairy free recipes? Come on over to my Quirky Cooking Facebook Page too, and you’ll see lots of happy people talking about how much they love their Thermomixes! It really is a money saver, and time saver! 🙂 (Btw, my dairy free hot chocolate and cappucinos made in the Thermomix might help convince your hubby too!) 😉

Hi Kim, so sorry, just saw your comment – I hope you figured out the recipe and that it worked well for you… I’ll check the print version and see what’s going on with it. If you click on sections of the recipe in the print box, it will delete those sections, so be careful not to do that. You can click on the pictures and delete them too, which is handy for printing out. 🙂

20. Jessica says:

Hi Jo, I have had incredible problems getting this recipe to work! The rapadura does not dissolve, it just sits on the bottom and when I pour it into the mould it just stays a goooey sugary mess with a layer of cocoa butter on top. I have tried it with agave nectar as well with a similar result. I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong? Has anybody else had similar problems? Jessica

21. Anonymous says:

I didn’t have that problem, but i used raw sugar instead of rapadura (because i couldn’t find it anywhere!), and it was amazing! So you shpuld try raw sugar. Hope that helps! 🙂

22. Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

23. Peta Serras says:

This looks delicious! I am currently off sugar however I could maybe use stevia to sweeten. I need my chocky! Love your blog!

Sure, you could use stevia! Glad you’re enjoying my blog 😀

25. Haid says:

Hi Jo,
    I made this at work this morning in our new Thermomix 🙂 I used Coconut Sugar and it worked really well. I think I could have cooked it a bit longer as it was still a bit graining but BOY is it YUMMY!!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe, I’ve linked to it from our School “Healthy Eating” blog 🙂
    Cheers
    Haidee

That’s great, Haidee!! Isn’t it great to be able to make your own chocolate 🙂
    Jo

27. Anonymous says:

Goji berries are really yummy in the chocolate too. And it makes it a bit sweeter so you dont use as much agave/rapadura 🙂

28. Mel Makris says:

Just made this using half coconut sugar and half rapadura (150g as I figured I would want it a little sweeter from the comments I read!!) and poured it over organic raw almonds. Delcious delicious delicious! How will I ever go back to mass produced chocolate again??!!!

29. charliegirl says:

I always use local honey and organic maple syrup to sweeten mine. The flavour is much better than agave.

30. Anonymous says:

Just went to the site to order cacao butter and it’s 40% off for July. Yay.

Yes, I tend to use Rapadura & raw honey to sweeten mine now – so so delicious!

I bought lots of yummy chocolate ingredients from Loving Earth the other day with that 40% off sale – yippeee!! 😀

32. charliegirl says:

love the ‘loving earth’ sale, my order arrived this week. Thanks so much for putting it on facebook 🙂

You’re welcome! Such a good special, I’d hate anyone to miss out!! 🙂

34. Kym says:

Hi Jo,
    Love your blog 🙂 I just tried making chocolate in the Thermomix, but it hasn’t turned out hard like it should – despite being in the freezer for the past hour or so. I *may* not have kept to the cooking times during the whole process (as I was keen to make it fast so I could eat it, haha!) – do you think this could be the reason why it hasn’t turned out hard like chocolate should be?
    Thanks for your help Jo!
    Cheers,
    Kym

Thanks Kym 🙂 What sweetener/s did you use? That will make a difference to the texture. If you use much honey, it will be softer. It could also be the ‘cooking’ time 😉 I find the longer it stirs, the better it snaps!
    Jo 🙂

36. Fiona Elliott says:

Hi Jo,

This is the second time i have attempted making chocolate and each time the cocoa doesn’t seem to mix with the rapadura paste. Its like the fat is on the top and underneath is a thick paste. I tried whizzing it up but that made no difference. I followed your recipe to the tee. The chocolate is not crunchy but chewy more like a caramel. Determined to get this right…it tastes yum though. Love the cinnamon, orange and vanilla paste. Please help :o)

Hi Fiona, I’m not sure why it’s doing that… eeek! Well, I had it happen the other day too, so I added 40g of thick coconut cream and mixed that in, then it was perfect. Only thing is it doesn’t set really hard, but it tasted so good I didn’t mind. 🙂 I think the problem may be the rapadura – sometimes it’s very difficult to mix in. A friend of mine uses Yacon syrup to sweeten his – 120g of Yacon, added after the cacao powder. I think next time I’ll try all liquid sweeteners – either Yacon, honey, pure maple syrup, rice syrup, or a mixture – I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Jo 🙂

38. Emma-Jo says:

Hello, I received my order today – yay! So am keen to try in the TMix. I have agave syrup though as I ordered a kit from Loving Earth and can’t seem to find a recipe on your site with agave. I may be blind though! Do I just replace rapadura measurements with the agave and use same times etc? Thanks for your help, am loving this site/blog.

39. Amanda Kate says:

Hi Jo
    I have just made your orange almond version and had ths problem of the rapadura and cacao butter not mixing. I followed advice to add 40 grams of coconut cream and the choccy is awesome but is not setting hard as you said. just wondering if you have nutted out a solution!! would love to have it hard. HAve left it in the freezer so it stays hard to eat it.

Hi Emma-Jo, sorry I missed your comment – I think it’s a bit less of agave than rapadura, and then taste it and see if you need more. Been a while since I made it with agave!

Amanda, I’m not sure why sometimes this is separating – I think it’s the rapadura. Haven’t had a chance to try to again yet but will soon!

Jo 🙂

41. Natalie Skinner says:

Thanks for another great recipe Jo! I am never buying chocolate again! Sooooo delicious 😀

So glad you liked it, Natalie 😀

43. Vieve says:

My first failure in the Thermomix! Made this today but my mixture didn’t mix either.. So disappointed as I was really looking forward to trying this. Unfortunately, raw cocoa butter is too expensive for me to try and perfect this recipe with further attempts. So jealous of everyone who had success 🙂

44. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo, I’m converting a fudge recipe to dairy free and it calls for 500g chocolate (I may have to half this recipe). I’m wondering of you know roughly how much this recipe yields of finished product?

Thanks

Lizz (BHBEB)

45. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo, My hubby and son prefer milk chocolate. Would cream/coconut cream do the trick? How much? Thanks, Terri

46. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo am loving your recipes and my new thermie just wondering how much milk would be required to make milk chocolate?

47. Unknown says:

Hi Jo,
    did this today with the kids.
    We prepared moulds with little items such as crushed nuts, lime zest, craisins, coconut bits, all sorts.
    My problem was that I realised to wards the end of the pouring that the sugar was still at the bottom and didn’t really dissolve…previously I had only ever made chocolate with honey and agave syrup.
    Does the sugar dissolve generally normally or do I constantly have to stir? once taking the TM bowl off the ‘heat’?
    Thanks, Insa

Just reading through the comments I haven’t managed to keep up with – here’s a few answers!

If you’ve had trouble with the chocolate mixing together properly, it could be because
    1) You haven’t ground up the rapadura really, really finely at the start (must be a super dry bowl); or,
    2) You’ve whizzed it up at a really high speeds at the end – that can cause it to separate

If it has split, try adding 30g coconut cream and gently mixing until it comes together again. It will be a slightly softer chocolate, but it tastes great! Just store it in the freezer to keep it ‘crisp’.

This recipe yields nearly 400g of chocolate.

If you want to make it into a lighter ‘milk’ chocolate, you can add some powdered milk to the mixture when adding the rapadura (or sweetener of choice). Or you can add 30-50g of cream or coconut cream. (As said above, it will be softer if you add cream.)

If you’ve poured the chocolate out and realised when you got to the bottom that the rapadura hadn’t dissolved properly, just scrape it all out, let it set, then re-whiz it up and re-melt at 37C, then pour out and set again. Of course, this won’t work it you’ve poured it onto nuts/fruit… if so, just drizzle the sugary layer evenly over the chocolate, stir a bit with a knife to mix it in, and leave it to set. It will still taste good. 🙂

Jo

49. Chris says:

Hi Jo,

I’ll be making this ASAP with easter coming and a dairy-intolerant child – a few comments:

Chocolate + fridge is not great! you get all that condensation on the outside when it comes out, it can cause the sugar to bloom, which is ugly, and in a worst case scenario (ie., leave it out for a few days, it can grow mould!) If your chocolate isn’t setting up, which it should do in about 10 minutes, the cocoa butter isn’t crystallised properly (or, to use old terminology, it isn’t tempered). The easiest way to temper it would be to seed it – when the chocolate cools to about 34-35C, add 1% cocoa butter (finely chopped) and stir it in until it’s all melted, your chocolate should be in temper now and set up nicely without refrigeration.

Thanks for a great recipe to use in my TM 😀

Chris

• Jo Whitton says:

Hi Chris, you’ll find with raw chocolate it isn’t quite the same – if you set it out of the fridge it will actually separate! A little different to regular chocolate as it isn’t tempered, it’s just barely warmed and stirred until smooth. 🙂

50. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo
    You said you were going to try the liquid sweeteners, did you end up trying that out? I’m really curious and anxious to hear how you went as I’d rather not use rapadura or agave syrup, happy to use honey or maple syrup though. I look forward hearing how you went and if any tweaks are required. Thanks. Paula