I wanted to make a special Mother’s Day lunch for my extra special mother, and when I saw a recipe for a ‘Muddled Mother’s Day Mess’ (think ‘Eton Mess’, kind of like a trifle) on the Thermomix Recipe Community, I knew I just had to make it for dessert! The only problem was that if I made a dessert full of cream and sugar, I wouldn’t be able to have any… So I decided to ‘tweak’ the recipe to make it gluten free, dairy free and naturally sweetened. I hope mum doesn’t mind – but just in case she does, I’ve also made her a Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake!
I just want to say a quick word about my mum – she is the most amazing cook, and taught us from a very young age to experiment in the kitchen, and never minded the messes we made or the fact that half the things we ‘invented’ were quite inedible. It’s funny, when I was a kid I’d get quite annoyed with mum wanting to ‘tweak’ recipes to use what she had in the fridge or cupboard – I just wanted to follow the recipe exactly as it was written! Well, mum, thanks for all that early training in ‘tweaking’ – it’s come in really handy!! And I’ve made a lovely ‘Mess’ just for you… (I’ve always been good at making messes, right mum? lol)
Here’s my version:
1. First make a Sponge Cake.
I used this recipe for a Gluten Free Almond Sponge Cake. It’s actually even grain free if you use arrowroot or tapioca starch instead of the cornstarch! I halve the sugar and use Rapadura, and add a little green stevia powder. If you can’t have nuts, make a plain gluten free cake like this one. Cool the cake, then slice into cubes.
While the cake is cooking, make the other layers.
- 150g raw cashews
- 200g water
- dash of pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- the pulp of 4 passionfruit
- Blend cashews, water, maple syrup or honeyand vanilla extract in the Thermomix for 1 minute on speed 9.
- Stir in pulp of passion fruit.
- Remove to a bowl and refrigerate. (It will thicken as it cools.)
- 200g raspberries
- 100g Rapadura
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Weigh ingredients into Thermomix bowl.
- Cook at 90 degrees, 6 minutes, speed 4.
- Pour into a strainer over a bowl to remove seeds, then refrigerate.
- 60g Rapadura
- 1/4 tsp green stevia powder
- juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes
- 80g coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- Grind rapadura for 30 seconds on speed 9.
- Scrape down sides with spatula, insert butterfly, and add stevia powder, juice of lemon or lime, coconut oil and 2 eggs.
- Cook for 8 minutes, 80 degrees, speed 3. The lemon butter should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Place a third of the cubes of sponge cake into large glass serving bowl, or several individual glasses. Drizzle with a little coulis. Dollop with some Lime Butter and Passionfruit Cream. Repeat layering a couple more times, until all ingredients are used, ending with cream. (Swirl a little of the coulis through the cream on top with a skewer.) Garnish with raspberries. Serve cold.