This is one of our family’s ‘go-to’ snacks which my friends think I really should share – they’re the easiest, yummiest snack around!
This recipe is so simple, it’s hardly a recipe at all… All it involves is some nuts, honey or maple syrup, some sea salt, and an oven. Oh, and a baking tray. And it only takes 20 minutes.
Sweet ‘n’ salty nuts are great for a quick snack on the go. I often take a little bag of them in my handbag when I go out, which helps me control the urge for buying something not-so-healthy to munch on. They’re also great for a gift – pop into a pretty jar, tie a ribbon around it, and off you go!
I buy nuts in bulk to save money – organic raw cashews, insecticide free almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, macadamias – all sorts. I try to always have a variety in my freezer. We’re a pretty nutty family. 😀
If you can’t have nuts, seeds work too – try a mixture of pepitas, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds with honey and salt – just make sure you keep an eye on them as they will brown quicker than almonds.
Here’s how to make them.Print
Sweet ‘n’ Salty Nuts
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Spread the nuts or seeds on a baking paper lined tray and flatten into a single layer.
- Drizzle with honey or syrup, back and forth in a thin stream, about 2 Tbsp per tray, or to taste.
- Sprinkle over a couple of good-sized pinches of salt.
- Pop the nuts into the preheated oven and let them cook for about 10 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven and stir nuts/seeds with a fork, turning them in the melted honey/syrup so they’re evenly coated. Pop them back in the oven and cook another 5-10 minutes, or until they’re golden and crispy. Don’t burn them!
- Let them cool before eating. Once they’re completely cool, break them apart and store in an airtight jar at room temp.