Green Chocolate Smoothie
(with optional Buckinis)
I love green smoothies. A lot of people wrinkle up their noses at them and won’t give them a try because they can’t imagine a drink with spinach in it could taste any good. Are you one of those people? Well I’m here to tell you that green smoothies are delicious! And for those of you who haven’t been game to try them yet, here’s a chocolate version that will help you ‘put your foot in the door’ of green smoothie addiction!
I make this one (or variations of it) fairly often, and for a long time my younger kids had no idea it had spinach and avocado in it. You honestly can’t taste it. So why bother adding the spinach, you ask? Because it’s soooooo good for you! And most of us don’t get enough raw leafy greens in our diet, especially the kids. And it’s a lot easier to drink up your greens than to eat a big salad. The avocado is added for extra creaminess.
Here’s a video of me making this smoothie…
You can pretty much add any leafy greens to any juice or smoothie to make a green smoothie, but my favourite greens to use are baby spinach or cos lettuce. Add as much as you like – start with a big handful, and add more as you get used to it.
This smoothie is based on an old favourite of ours, my Chocolate (or Carob) Almond Smoothie.
– Leave out the banana, increase the frozen avocado or ice, add a handful of fresh mint, and add a few more dates.
– Leave out the avocado.
– Use more or less ice depending on how thick you like it – you can always add more ice at the end if it’s too thin, and whiz it up for another minute.
– Try frozen berries instead of frozen banana.
– Add a couple of spoonfuls of spirulina powder.
– Add a couple of spoonfuls of MiEssence Berry Radical (for an antioxidant boost) and/or In-Liven (for probiotics, also contains spirulina).
– Green Sorbets: Try adding a couple of handfuls of leafy greens to your sorbets – works well in just about any flavour. You can also add a couple of handfuls of fresh Italian parsley, or fresh mint, to lemon or orange sorbet – it’s delicious!