I got up this morning to hungry kids and nothing much to eat, so I made a quick batch of quinoa granola with some quinoa flakes I picked up at the supermarket yesterday. It was so easy and delicious, I just had to share it with you all! While it was toasting I made a banana & chia seed custard (no eggs or dairy) to have with it – but I’ll save that for the next post.
Making granola is not an exact science. Just throw in handfuls of your favourite ingredients and spices, drizzle over some oil or melted butter plus honey or syrup, sprinkle with salt, mix it up, and toast it. Mine is a little different every time. I just made a small batch this morning, mixing it straight on the baking tray – if you want to make a big batch, mix it in a large mixing bowl and adjust amounts to suit.
So here’s a basic recipe for a quick quinoa granola that you can mix up in seconds, toast in minutes, and enjoy before dashing out the door for the day. Tweak to your heart’s delight!
- 3 big handfuls of quinoa flakes
- a couple of handfuls of sultanas
- a handful of sesame & sunflower seeds
- a pinch or two of celtic sea salt or himalayan salt
- a big pinch or two of ground cinnamon
- a smaller pinch of ground nutmeg
- a good drizzle of melted coconut oil or butter
- a good drizzle of raw honey or pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- a splash of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together, either straight onto your baking tray, or in a mixing bowl.
- Get your hands in there and mix it up! Use your fingertips to rub the oil and honey/syrup into the dry ingredients, until it's evenly mixed. Spread out evenly on the tray.
- Pop it into the hot oven (180 degrees) and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir with a fork, place back in oven and give it another 5 minutes or so.
- Try grinding up your own nutmeg and a cinnamon quill in the Thermomix for more flavour!