How do you like your pizza crust – thin and crispy, or thick and fluffy with a crunchy crust? Thin and crispy gluten free pizza bases are easy enough – here’s my recipe. The thicker you go, though, the more difficult it is to get that soft, fluffy texture with gluten free flours. So here’s my solution – a gluten free (and egg free) focaccia base for your pizza that the whole family will love, gluten free or not!
- 2 Italian tomatoes (halved)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- small handful of fresh basil
- small handful fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp rapadura
- Pinch of sea salt
- 80g sun dried tomatoes
- First make the focaccia base with this recipe. If you want your pizza base really thick, just use one, deep baking dish. I used two dishes as I only wanted my base about 4cms thick. Before you pour the batter into your dish/es, drizzle the dish really well with EVOO and spread around and up the sides of the dish. This will make the base nice and crunchy. (Or you could use melted butter, ghee or coconut oil if you'd rather.) Pour in the batter and leave it to rise for about half an hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 210 degrees C (or 200 degrees if you have a fan forced oven).
- Bake the focaccia for about 30 minutes, until nicely browned and crusty. When you insert a knife in the middle, it should come out clean.
- Whip up this quick, raw sauce, and spread it on top of the cooked bases. Blend tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, balsamic vinegar, rapadura, sea salt and sun dried tomatoes in Thermomix on speed 8 for 10 seconds.
- Top your pizza with your choice of raw toppings - I like salad greens, kalamata olives and salmon or tuna. (My quick and easy version is to use those little tins of flavoured tuna - salsa or sun dried tomato.)
You could also sprinkle it with some macadamia cheese, or some dairy free sour cream.
Or go for a zingy avocado and salad topping!
Of course, you can make a baked topping if you’d rather – just par bake the focaccia base for about 20 minutes, add toppings, and finish baking.