Spring is here, and the weather is finally beginning to warm up, yippee! At least, it is here, up in the mountains in Far North Queensland.
For the last couple of months I’ve been putting off testing ice cream recipes for my book, as it’s just been too cold. But today was absolutely gorgeous, and the sunshine encouraged me to get started. I decided to begin with a coconut sorbet, and it turned out so delicious I just couldn’t wait to share it. (Don’t worry, I have way too many recipes to fit in my book anyway, so I can afford to pop one on the blog instead.)
Photo taken this evening on our street ~ Spring is here!
I got the idea for this recipe a few weeks ago, when I saw a coconut sorbet in the freezer section of the grocery store. The ingredients were: coconut water (60%), cane sugar, coconut cream and flavour, desiccated coconut, dextrose, natural stabilizers (xanthan, guar gum, carrageen, maltodextrine). I figured I could make my own with less ingredients, no highly processed sugar, no flavours, and no carrageen. For less money. So that was my challenge… I hope you’ll let me know what you think of the outcome! I haven’t actually tasted the one from the grocery store so I have no idea if mine is the same sort of flavour, but I love this one and am very happy knowing it’s healthier and costs less.
This sorbet actually took me right back to my childhood, when mum would make ice cream for us from fresh snow. Have you ever eaten ‘snow ice cream’? When I was 4-5, we were travelling around the USA in a camper van for a year. When it snowed we would go outside and scoop up the clean snow, take it back into our warm camper van, and Mum would mix in some sugar and vanilla. We thought it was the most amazing treat ever. It’s funny, I haven’t thought about snow ice cream for years, but with my first mouthful of this sorbet, that’s all I could think of! So I popped some into a bowl and dashed down to mum’s house to give her a taste, and mum and dad agreed – just like snow ice cream. Great memories.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 800ml unsweetened coconut water (eg. Natural Raw C coconut water)
- 100g thick coconut cream, preservative free (eg. Ayam)
- 60-80g pure organic maple syrup
- 1/2 - 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (to taste)
- dessicated coconut to serve (preservative free, available at health food shops) OR fresh coconut, grated
- Freeze the coconut water in ice cube trays until frozen solid.
- Place 400g of the coconut water ice cubes into the Thermomix mixing bowl, and blend 5 sec/speed 9, or until it becomes 'snow'.
- Add remaining 400g frozen coconut water and blend 10 sec/speed 9, until 'snow'.
- Add coconut cream (the thickest part from top of tin), maple syrup and vanilla, and blend 1 min/speed 9, using the spatula to help it along.
- Remove lid and scrape down sides, reblending until sorbet is smooth and creamy, approx 30 sec/speed 9.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little dessicated coconut.
- If you need to freeze some for later, freeze in ice cube trays and reblend when ready to serve.
- Sweetener can be reduced to taste, or changed to a 1/4 tsp green stevia powder for a sugar free version.