Wow. What a day. Where do I even begin to say thank you for the crazily amazing gorgeousness of what so many of you did today? I can’t find the words to say how much I appreciate it. I feel so blessed. Just wow.
If you’re wondering what I’m talking about, it’s this. I was totally love-bombed by my readers today! My crazy, sneaky, but ever so sweet sister-in-law, Melissa, decided she was going to do something about my computer troubles and organised some birthday love. (I think my little brother may have had something to do with it too.) So now I not only will be getting a new computer for my birthday, paid for by my much-loved readers, I’ve also got enough to buy a decent camera to take better photos! (Instead of using my iPhone all the time, as much as I love it.) To all of you who were in on this – thank you, so so much.
When Melissa texted me and admitted what she’d done, I laughed and cried and was basically totally useless for the rest of the day, and didn’t get a scrap of work done. (Except dinner, I did manage to cook that.) So now I’m sitting down at my dodgy old computer at nearly midnight, determined to give you all a little something back, even if it’s just a simple slice recipe. Because, you know, giving is like a circle – the more you give, the more you receive, and the more you want to give again.
So here’s my little thank you to you, a simple recipe for Apple & Persimmon Oat Slice, which I made up yesterday when I had three squishy persimmons I needed to use. I hope you’ll share the love and make it for someone you care about.
‘Share the Love’ Apple & Persimmon Oat Slice
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 3 persimmons, washed and stems removed (well ripened)
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 50g rice malt syrup (or 30g honey)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cornflour (or arrowroot starch)
Base & Topping
- 370g organic rolled oats (GF oats or quinoa flakes for gluten free)
- 100g unsalted butter (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 60g rice malt syrup (or 40g honey)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 21cm square baking dish with baking paper and set aside.
- Place apples and persimmons into Thermomix mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 4.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and cook 7 mins/100C/speed 2.
- Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
Base & Topping
- Place all base/topping ingredients into Thermomix mixing bowl (no need to clean after making filling), and mix 30 sec/speed 4, or until mixture is starting to clump together slightly.
- Place 2/3 of the mixture into the lined dish and press in firmly to form base. Pour filling over base.
- Crumble remaining mixture over the top of the filling, and press down slightly with your fingers, into the filling.
- Place into oven and cook for 20-30 mins, or until lightly browned on top.
- Cool, cover, then place in fridge to set. Once slice is firm, cut into squares and serve cold from the fridge.
- Tastes great with a dollop of cashew or coconut cream!
- If you don’t have persimmons, try apples and plums; or use 6 apples instead of apples and persimmons.
- To make this without a Thermomix, chop fruit roughly by hand and simmer filling in a pan on the stovetop until thickened. Mix topping by hand and proceed with recipe.