I love dinner for breakfast. Don’t you? Gone are the days of feeling sick after a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice, and totally ‘hangry’ and headachey by 9am. Give me a savoury, low carb, high fat, protein rich breakfast that keeps me satisfied for hours, without the sore tummy, thank you! Mmmmm…
Here’s one of our favourites at the moment. If you don’t have time to fluff around making the sauce in the morning before school or work, just make it the night before, pop it in the fridge, then warm it up in a frying pan at breakfast time and add the zoodles and eggs. Easy peasy. You actually may want to double the sauce because it’s so delicious you will probably want to have it a couple of days in a row. Just saying.
Oh, and if you are wondering what in the world ‘zoodles’ are, they’re simply zucchini ‘noodles’, of course!
I use 6-8 eggs in this recipe, for our family of six – just reduce the amount of eggs if you have a smaller family. The sauce will last in the fridge for a few days, no problem.
Without further ado (because it’s late and I need to go to bed), here’s the recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 a red capsicum, deseeded and halved again
- 60g coconut oil or olive oil
- 600-700g vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled & quartered
- 100g tomato paste
- 100g water
- 2 Tbspns vegetable stock paste
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 rashers nitrate free bacon, rind removed, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbspns coconut oil
- 2 zucchinis, made into 'noodles' with a vege spiraliser, or peeled in thin ribbons with a potato peeler
- 6-8 eggs
- Place onion, garlic and capsicum into Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5.
- Add oil/fat and cook 3 mins/Varoma/speed 1.
- Add tomatoes & carrots and chop 6 sec/speed 5.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and cook 20 mins/Varoma/rev/speed 1.
- While sauce is cooking, fry bacon gently in large frying pan with coconut oil, until crispy. Turn off heat and leave in pan.
- When sauce is done, pour into pan, add zucchini noodles, and heat until simmering.
- Make wells in sauce with the back of a large spoon, and crack in eggs. Cover with a lid and simmer until eggs are done to your liking.
- I use a Benriner for my 'zoodles' - it makes awesome vege 'spaghetti'!