Flourless Pecan Cake (GF, DF)

Changing Habits, Changing Lives
August 14, 2009
Baked Chicken with Cashew Satay Sauce
August 19, 2009

I’m so excited – I’ve come up with a really yummy version of my favourite flourless nut cake, and it’s completely dairy free and gluten free and naturally sweetened… and very moist and delicious too!!! I’ve given it the ultimate taste test – I took it to a church supper and gave some to the teenage boys – they are VERY suspicious of anything ‘healthy’ – especially if it is dairy-free, gluten free and contains no refined sugar. They actually came back for seconds and thirds, and it dissapeared in no time! Afterwards I thought that was a pretty silly thing to do, because now they won’t be so wary of my ‘health food’ and next time there won’t be much left for the adults! 🙂

This is such an easy recipe if you have a Thermomix, or a very powerful blender – you just chuck it all in and blend it up! No mucking around with separating eggs, grinding up sugar, scraping out vanilla beans… a simple, idiot-proof recipe.

BTW, see my original recipe here, as well as some variations such as hazelnut chocolate/coffee cake.

Isn’t that a lovely texture?
Okay, enough rambling… here it is!
Place all the ingredients in the Thermomix bowl (or in a powerful blender), and blend on speed 9 for 20 seconds (or until well-blended), scraping down sides if needed:
– 170g raw pecans
– 60g dates
– 60g Rapadura
– 100g coconut cream (just scoop off the thickest cream from the top of the tin of coconut cream, or make your own – it should be thick like thickened dairy cream)
– 1 whole vanilla bean, snipped into 3cm pieces (or use 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
– 4 large eggs
– 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
– 1 Tblspn arrowroot flour (or gf cornflour/cornstarch)
– 1 tspn gf baking powder
Tip into lined, 20cm round cake tin, and bake for about 40 minutes at 180 degrees, or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.

Drizzle with pure maple syrup while still warm. Enjoy!

1. Susan says:

Jo, that sounds scrummy! I have a powerful blender (cafe standard) with a thick glass stem so I will let you know if I make this and how it turns out. I need to buy a couple of the ingredients before i cna cook it up.

Would ordinary cornflour work if no one in the house needs the gf variety?

PS I am coming to visit you all between Sept 12th and 21st! Yay!

2. Jo says:

Hi Susan! Let me know how it goes! (You may want to scrape out the vanilla bean seeds instead of throwing in the whole bean, but otherwise it should work, I think!) Ordinary cornflour is fine. Looking forward to seeing you!

3. Lauren says:

Wow! The flavours in this sound fantastic! I love nuts, and have just started really enjoying dates. Not to mention that vanilla is always delightful – This cake looks delicious =D.

4. Found you through Elana’s Pantry. Looks heavenly and I have a whole bag of pecans! Must try this!!

5. Mrs. Ed says:

I love your site, I’ll have to look around here. This cake looks great too. We do alot of grain free cooking in our home too!

6. This cake is a winner. You have used terrific flavors.

7. That is an amazing looking cake! You should add it to the roundup over at the Friday Foodie Fix–Pecans at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang (thewholegang.org). You can add recipes any time and this one would really be appreciated. 🙂

BTW, I’ve never heard of a Thermomix. Must investigate …

Thanks,
    Shirley

8. That looks so amazing. I want one of those Thermomix. Do they sell them in the US? Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix. I’m going to have to give this a try for sure!

9. Helen says:

Hi Jo, what size tin did you use? Mine’s in the oven now but I think it’s too big. Batter didn’t even reach the sides.

Hi Helen,
    I just use a 20cm round tin. It’s not a really big cake. Hope it works out 🙂

11. Anonymous says:

hi, could you successfully replace the eggs with cornflour? (1tsp flour mixed with 60ml water for each egg)

Cake sounds nice but not vegan!

I’m desperately looking for vegan gluten free recipes my 21 month old will actually eat. I think the impossible!

Hmmm, don’t think that would work really – the eggs are so important in a flourless nut cake. But you could make the gf chocolate banana cake – it works fine without the egg – just add 60g more of banana! Here it is: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2010/03/gf-chocolate-banana-cake.html

13. Jenni says:

Made this cake yesterday – it was absolutely delicious!! My coconut cream wasn’t as thick as the recipe called for but it still worked nonetheless 🙂

Oh great, Jenni, so happy to hear that! 😀

15. Anonymous says:

Hi Jo, do you think I could substitute the arrowroot flour/cornflour for coconut flour?

16. Jen dixon says:

Still my favourite go-to, quick, easy and delicious cake. LOVE this recipe!!! Thank you 🙂

17. […] Caprese? No, way too much sugar! Hmmm… So I decided to make a chocolate cake based on my Flourless Pecan Cake recipe […]