Dairy-Free Spelt Scones

Almond & Sunflower Seed Milk
September 28, 2009
Quick Yeast-Free Spelt Bread
September 28, 2009

Scones have always been a ‘staple’ of our diet – we have them for breakfast or morning tea at least once a week. They’re so quick and easy (pop them in the oven and they’re ready to eat by the time you’ve had a shower)… And they are equally nice with jam and cream, or avocado, salt and pepper! (I never put sugar in my scones, so we can eat them with either savoury or sweet toppings.) We also like them with ‘Eggs-a-la-Goldenrod’ (chopped boiled eggs in white sauce), or white sauce with mince (ground beef). (I know, we have strange things for breakfast!)

Anyway, when I decided to go completely dairy-free for six months, the thing I missed most was butter in and on my scones – lots of it! Sigh. But I found that you can make really nice scones with oil instead of butter, and I’m enjoying them again for breakfast… often with fruit spread and cashew cream, as in the photo above. Yum!
(This recipe is written for Thermomix, but can be easily done by hand too.)
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
2. Weigh into Thermomix bowl and mix for 6 seconds, speed 6:
– 440g plain spelt flour (grind up to 200g of the flour from spelt grain first if you want wholemeal)
– 4 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
3. Add oil and mix in for a few seconds on speed 5:
– 60g macadamia oil, or light olive oil
4. Add and mix for 5 seconds on speed 5, or until dough almost comes together:
– 230g rice-almond milk, or other milk substitute
– 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
5. Set dial to closed-lid position and mix for 20 seconds on interval speed. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky – adjust flour and milk if needed.
6. Turn out onto lightly floured bread mat and pat into 3cm thick round. Cut scones out with the MC (cap in the top of the Thermomix lid), dipping it into flour after each one. Place onto floured/greased tray so that scones are touching each other. Cook in hot oven for about 15 mins, or until scones are lightly browned, and cooked through (pull centre ones apart to check).

1. Thermomixer says:

“We also like them with ‘Eggs-a-la-Goldenrod’ (chopped boiled eggs in white sauce), or white sauce with mince (ground beef). (I know, we have strange things for breakfast!)”

They don’t call you quirky Jo for nothing ;). I could eat those dishes. Good work

2. Jo says:

At least I’m in good company, hey Thermomixer! 😉

3. Carly says:

Can you tell me what the purpose of the apple cider vinegar is and if there is a substitute?

4. Mattheworbit says:

Olive oil?! How cool and interesting. I’ve never found the perfect vegan scone, I’m afraid – but I know that everyone likes them different. I’ve been quite happy with ones containing coconut cream, though!

5. Kath says:

Just made these but ‘tweaked’ the recipe a little…I added 3 tablespoons of Superfoods for Kids Berry Choc Chunk powder, 2 tablespoons rapadura and 100g of dairy free dark chocolate chunks…Was SO yummy that there are none left only 30 minutes after they came out of the oven !!

6. Silvina says:

I recently became vegan so I’d love to try this recipe. Could I substitute the olive oil with coconut oil? I’ve done some research and it’s suggested that olive oil when heated at that temperature creates free radicals . Any thoughts? I know you are very well educated on healthy eating and that’s why I LOVE your blog! Thanks!

7. michelle says:

Hi Silvina! I almost always just replace oils in recipes with coconut oil/butter for the same reason – and because of the many benefits of coconut oil! I just made this with coconut oil and it was absolutely delicious 🙂 I also added about 60g sultanas and 30g chopped dates whilst kneading, turned out so yummy!
    Thanks Jo, I’m loving your recipes! Today I’ve made the yeast free spelt bread, these scones, and about to make the almost raw chocolates 🙂

8. Adina says:

Hi Jo
    These spelt recipes seem really awesome! I cannot wait to try them.
    Two questions:
    1. What is your opinion on using seltzer instead of milk?
    2. Do you have the measurements in cups instead of grams? (I dont have a scale)

Thanks a lot!

9. […] jam in the photo above was made just before some visitors arrived – I whipped up some spelt scones in the Thermomix, popped them in the oven, and the jam was ready by the time the scones were […]

10. Lynda says:

Delicious scones! I also used the coconut oil and they were really lovely & a real hit with the grandies. Thanks Jo.
    P.S. I received a copy of ‘Quirky Cooking’ for Mother’s Day last year from my son & daughter-in-law (who has had a copy for a few years now) Love it. I have just purchased a copy for my daughter after she tried to ‘con’ my copy from me. (No way I was having that happen)
    Love your blog 🙂

11. Kerry says:

Would these lovelies work with almond meal? Or what flour substitute would you suggest that’s wheat free?
    Thanks Jo