This is a recipe I developed years ago, that I make now and then for a treat – they can be made gluten-free or with spelt flour, and they’re really yummy – just ask the kids 🙂 If you’d like to make your own gluten-free flour, I have a recipe on this page: Wheat Substitutes.
The almond butter adds some protein and calcium, which is a plus. I make the almond butter first with this recipe, then add the other ingredients. You could use any nuts, or pre-made nut butter – macadamia, cashew, peanut – and you could also add some chopped pecans or walnuts if you like. Yum!
If you don’t have a Thermomix, you can just mix the dough in a mixer or by hand.
For a nut free version, just use sunflower seed butter instead of the almond butter. For an egg free version, use ‘chia eggs’ instead of eggs (see recipe).
The dough can be made ahead, rolled into a log and wrapped in greaseproof paper, then placed in the freezer until you ‘need’ some cookies. To use, thaw the dough for 10 minutes or so, then slice into 1cm thick rounds, place on a baking tray and pop them in the oven. It’s great to have some in the freezer for when visitors drop by!
- 150g almond butter (or sunflower seed butter)
- 70g coconut sugar or Rapadura
- 80g raw honey
- 2 eggs (or 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds mixed with 6 Tbsp water)
- 100g coconut oil or soft butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain gluten free flour or unbleached spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 100-150g dark choc chips or dark chocolate chopped roughly
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place nut butter, sugar, honey, eggs, oil or butter, and vanilla into mixing bowl and mix 30 sec/speed 6.
- Add flour, salt, and bicarb soda and mix 10 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula and mix again, 10 sec/speed 6.
- Add chocolate chips/chunks and mix 15 sec/reverse/speed 3.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough onto lined baking trays, leaving 5cm between each so they have room to spread.
- Bake approx. 15-20 mins at 180C, or until lightly browned. Cool on trays, then remove to a sealed container.