I’ve always found it very difficult to resist cheesecake, especially a good, homemade one, covered in cherries or berries (and chocolate)! And in our family, cheesecake is always popular at Christmas… thank goodness for a dairy free cheesecake – I can still avoid dairy, and not feel deprived 🙂 Whip this one up in about fifteen minutes, pop it in the freezer, and you’ve got a fancy dessert ready for Christmas day! This recipe makes two cheesecakes in regular sized pie pans. (I made one for my dh’s birthday the other day, and the other’s in the freezer ready for Christmas.)
Note: If you want a quicker version of the crust because you don’t have any Sprouted Buckwheat Granola already made up, just grind up 400g raw almonds and 400g raw dates until they are all mushed together, and press into pie plate – instant crust!
This recipe is based on one in Serene Allison’s “Rejuvenate Your Life” cookbook (changed to suit my taste) – hope you like it!
(I use my Thermomix for this recipe – if you don’t have a Thermomix you can use a good quality food processor, but it may take a little longer to grind and mix.)
Granola Crumb Crust:
1. Place dates in Thermomix bowl and grind on speed 9 until mushy, about 20 seconds:
– 400g pitted dates
2. Add, and crush using bursts of turbo speed until desired consistency (about 6 bursts):
– 280g Raw Sprouted Buckwheat Granola
– 170g raw almonds
– 30g extra virgin coconut oil (or other mild-tasting, extra virgin oil)
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
3. Line two pie pans with baking paper, divide crumb mixture into pans and press firmly onto bottom and sides with greased hands. (See photo)
Berry Cheesecake Filling:
1. Place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl and mix on speed 9 for about 2 minutes, using spatula to help move mixture around, until it’s smooth and creamy:
– 130g freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 250g raw pine nuts
– 250g raw almonds
– 130g raw sunflower seeds
– 1 tsp fine sea salt
– 300g frozen or fresh mixed berries (or strawberries/pitted cherries, etc)
– 170g agave syrup or pure maple syrup (or to taste)
– 2 tsp psylliam powder (opt.)
2. Divide filling between two crusts, and place in freezer while you make the topping.
Berry Crumble Topping
1. Make a batch of Berry Nougat
and sprinkle it over the cheesecakes. Drizzle with chocolate if you like – you can make your own raw chocolate with this recipe
if you use agave syrup for the sweetener – I use! Rapadura, so it’s ‘almost raw’! 🙂
2. Cover cheesecakes and freeze. Thaw for about 20 minutes before slicing.