Thermomix Gravy

Gluten Free Artisan Bread
Gluten Free Artisan Bread
June 25, 2011
Creamy Hot Chocolate
Creamy Hot Chocolate (Dairy Free)
June 29, 2011

Okay, I just want to say that I LOVE how quick and easy it is to make gravy in my Thermomix. No dashing back and forth to the stove, stirring gravy madly with one hand so it doesn’t stick, go lumpy, or bubble out of the pan onto the stove… whilst desperately trying to slice the roast without hacking it, letting it go cold, or losing half of it to picking fingers!

That’s all I wanted to say.

I hope you weren’t expecting a recipe.

You were? Oh. Well, this is my gravy ‘recipe’…

When you make a roast, cook it in at least an inch of water, with some garlic cloves, a quartered onion, and all the veges sitting in it. Sprinkle the roast with herb salt and pepper, and herbs if you like, then cover it with foil. (Or cook it in the crockpot – same deal.) Basically, you want lots of yummy juice left over when you’re done.

When it’s cooked, tip the juices into the Thermomix (with the mushy garlic cloves and bits of onion) and add a couple of heaped tablespoons of cornflour (or arrowroot or rice flour). Yep, straight into the juice – no need to mix it into water in a cup and all that kind of nonsense. Then add a few sloshes of tamari (or soy sauce), and cook at 100 degrees on speed 4 for a few minutes – maybe 5 – until as thick as you like it. Season it if you like. I know, not much of a recipe, but that’s what I do, and it works!

And while it’s cooking, you can carve the roast and arrange the veges, and slap the picking fingers and generally feel quite peaceful and unstressed.

Love my Thermomix.

[Note: I just wanted to see if I could do a blog post in 15 minutes or less – I did it!! No excuse for slackness in posting now…]

1. At first I wasn’t sure if you had truly written this post Jo, as I couldn’t find chocolate mentioned in your gravy recipe 😉

Seriously though, this is a great reminder about one of the “small” but significant tasks Thermomix does well to help us busy cooks.

By the way, I can’t help myself when making gravy and always add a teaspoon (or two) of Dijon mustard into the mix. I guess that’s the “season as you like” part of your recipe 😉

Also, when making ‘gravy’ from vegetable broth (or cooking water), where there are no meat juices, I like to replace half the flour with nutritional yeast flakes before blending (plus using the Dijon as well). This works as an easy gravy-ish sauce for cauliflower, potatoes etc.

ps – I love your Thermomix too 😀

Hmmm, there’s an idea – chocolate gravy!! ha ha, just kidding!!! Yes, I’m pretty pleased with myself – three posts in a row that don’t include chocolate! 😀 Amazing.

I love your idea of using Dijon in gravy – Dijon mustard is my favourite, I eat it on all sorts of thing! I’m definately trying that next time. And the yeast flakes is a great flavour-full idea too – thanks so much. 🙂

3. Linda says:

I love TMX gravy!
    I put a little spoon of plum sauce or red wine or honey or soy sauce or……… Depending on which meat I’m roasting.
    I think my gravy is different every time.

Love your blog Jo!

X

More great ideas!!
    Thanks Linda 😀

5. KJ says:

Thanks, Jo!
    I just googled “Thermomix Gravy” and knew I’d come up with something from you! 🙂
    The marinade for our lamb inclded thyme, garlic, merlot and rosemary, with lots of herbamare.
    I’ve put the marinade, plus the juices from the oven bag that I roasted the lamb in. The cornflour not needing to be pre mixed was exciting, thank you!

Xx

6. mummalove says:

Loved this gravy, Jo! It was almost better than my lamb roast 😉 I love my Thermo too x

7. Awesome gravy, thank you so much!

8. Hi I am a brand newbie to thermomix. Day 3 of true love 🙂 I am making roast beef today so I am looking forward to this gravy. We use whole grain mustard on our beef so I can’t wait to try the gravy with the mustard infused through it.
    Thankyou for such an easy recipe.

9. […] bum (yes, you read right!) with some winter veges baked at the same time, served with brocolli and freshly made gravy. The kitchen warmed our house and the smells took me back […]

10. Merlene says:

Tried this last night… what a great way… being trying to work out how to utilise the stock after I have used the machine to cook my potatoes and steamed sausages… saved the juice, whipped up my mash potato emptied the bowl, then poured the juice back into bowl, followed instructions and it made the most yummy gravy too easy even husband was impressed… (won’t tell you how long I’ve had my thermy for… hahaha)

11. Sara says:

Finally!!! A delicious nasties free gravy!! I’d given up, thinking I’d never enjoy gravy again lol. Thank you so so so much!!!

12. Pravin says:

I put one red pepper under the meat and then into the mix more or less as in the recipe above plus a bit of stock and Dijon mustard plus Worcestershire sauce. The roasted red pepper made a sweetish-tasting and red-coloured sauce-gravy. Everone said different but very tasty and appreciated by all.