This is my favourite kind of custard. It’s so smooth and creamy… not to mention quick! Delicious with cake or fruit, or just on it’s own. I just made a batch up for the kids for tomorrow, and while it cools I’m going to very quickly post the recipe, as promised on Facebook… Here it is!
P.S. This is not a very sweet custard, as we’re cutting back on sugars as much as possible. So if you want a sweeter custard, just add more honey.
- 100g raw cashews
- 600g water
- 1 large teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 50g raw honey (or 70g pure maple syrup)
- 30g cornflour (or arrowroot)
- Grind cashews on speed 9 for 10 seconds.
- Add water and whiz up for 1 minute, speed 9.
- Add vanilla bean paste, eggs, honey, maple syrup and cook on 90 degrees for 6 minutes on speed 4
And if you’re looking for the cake recipe, it’s basically this one from Teresa Cutter’s website: Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes. Except I grind up my own blanched almonds for the flour, use carob powder instead of cocoa, and cook it in a square dish. We love it.
Goodnight, off to bed now…