I had a very sad little girl this morning, with a bad case of ‘schoolitis’… It really is impossible to teach an eight year old girl about state-of-being verbs when all she can do is cry because her brothers have already finished their school work and she hasn’t! So we had a break and made a pre-lunch snack. Salted caramel macadamia banana ice cream works every time – no more tears, smiles all round. Only problem is, now she’s bouncing off the walls and giggling crazily at everything. Sigh. Oh well, we’ll try again after lunch.
Here’s the recipe, just in case anyone else needs a pick me up too! (Hopefully you won’t get the giggles.) Now I’m off to make a quinoa salad for lunch…
- 100g Rapadura or coconut sugar or pure maple syrup
- 100g coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 large tsp vanilla bean paste)
- a pinch of Himalayan salt
- 450g frozen bananas, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 handfuls of raw macadamias (or however much you want!)
- a good drizzle of caramel sauce (reserve at least half for topping)
- extra macadamia nuts, chopped roughly
- extra sprinkle of Himalayan salt (optional)
- Make the caramel sauce by melting together some Rapadura, coconut cream, vanilla and salt for 3 minutes at 100 degrees, speed 2. Pour sauce into a small jug and set aside.
- Add bananas, macadamias and caramel sauce to the Thermomix bowl and mix on speed 9 for 30 seconds, using the spatula to push it onto the blades.
- Serve the ice cream straight away in small dishes, drizzled with the caramel sauce, and sprinkled with chopped macadamia nuts. You can also add a tiny sprinkle of Himalayan salt over the top as well, if you like.