Day to day, things can get a little chaotic to say the least. Time runs away, mealtimes are sometimes snatched on the run, and before you know it it’s time for the next serving of wholesome goodness. (Kids really like to eat hey!) So creating healthy savoury snacks that are ready to go, on the go, is really a lifesaver when the going gets… chaotic!
Check out my recipe for Zucchini & Pepita Muffins, the perfect savoury muffin treat to enjoy as a mid-day snack, as a savoury breakfast or even as a lunch with a side of veges. Try them halved and toasted, with bacon and egg in the middle. Or sliced open and drizzled with honey. We love them dipped in soup at dinner time, or in place of hamburger buns for mini burgers! And you can add some chopped up veggies, cooked bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, or olives for additions to savoury muffins – or change them to a sweet muffin by adding a couple of tablespoons of honey and a couple of handfuls of sultanas and some mixed spices! Play with the flavours and see what you come up with.
Best of all, these are dairy free (if made with coconut oil), nut free, grain free and gluten free. Great for school lunch boxes, and they freeze well.
Note: This recipe makes 12 large muffins. I cook them in “If You Care” muffin cups, and never have a problem with them sticking. (These paper cups are bleach free and non-toxic.)
- 250g activated* pepitas or 300g raw (non-activated) pepitas (2 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 150g zucchinis, quartered
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 60g coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 50g sunflower seeds
- Place pepitas in bowl and mill 8 sec/speed 8. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Place eggs in bowl, insert butterfly, and mix 5 mins/speed 4. Remove butterfly.
- Add zucchini and chop 5 sec/speed 4.
- Add remaining ingredients including pepita meal, and mix 10 sec/speed 5.
- Pour mixture into muffin cups and cook at 180C for 20 mins.
- Add fried, chopped bacon bits, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, or other savoury additions to batter and stir through.
- Or top each muffin with a halved cherry tomato.
- Or swirl a tsp of pesto through each muffin in the muffin cups.
- Muffins can also be made into sweet muffins by reducing salt to 1/4 tsp, adding 2 Tbspns honey, 2 tsp mixed spices (or just cinnamon), and a couple of handfuls of sultanas or other dried fruit.
- * Activated pepitas are soaked overnight in slightly salty water then dehydrated until very dry and crispy. This makes them easier to digest. The sunflower seeds can be activated too if desired.