My 16 yr old son is NEVER full these days. He eats a main meal three times a day (plus fruit, nuts, smoothies, eggs, leftovers and whatever else he can find for snacks), spends all his spare time playing soccer, and seems to have grown 2cm in the last 2 weeks. It’s crazy! One thing I have found that helps him to last longer between meals is to make sure he gets plenty of good fats in his diet. They’re also great for his brain, which is always helpful at school time! So I’m upping the fats to try and fill him up, to keep him from having brain fog, and to give him plenty of energy for all the running around he does.
Here’s a nutrient dense smoothie I made up for him that he really loves. We make all sorts of variations, but this mango and macadamia version is one of the best. And besides, since we live in Far North Queensland we generally have mango in our freezer all year long, because we get so many given to us in the summer! (I know, it’s a hard life, right?) But check out the Blueberry Banana version below if mangoes and macadamias are not as easy to come by for you. And you can really use any nuts and seeds in place of the macadamias.
I also add collagen powder to this smoothie sometimes, as it’s great for healing the lining of the gut – something we’ve been working on in our family. You can find out more about collagen powder here.
PS This is also a great smoothie for mums that are flat out cooking all day for hungry boys and need some energy too! Lol!
- 500g frozen mango, chopped
- 100g raw macadamia nuts
- 100g coconut cream
- 50g coconut oil
- 700-800g natural coconut water, or water, or mixture
- 1/2 to 1 avocado (frozen for a thicker smoothie)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 lime, flesh only (can zest before peeling)
- 1/2 a vanilla bean, or 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 Tbsp collagen powder (opt)
- Place all ingredients into the Thermomix bowl (or a powerful blender) and blend 2 mins/speed 10.
- Sprinkle smoothies with some chopped macadamias and lime zest if you like before serving.
- Green Mango-Macadamia Smoothie - add 60g baby spinach leaves
- Blueberry-Banana Smoothie - swap macadamias for almonds, mango for 300g frozen banana, add 1 pitted date and 100-200g frozen blueberries, reduce coconut water/water to 500g, add 200g ice. Add 60g spinach leaves for a green version. Garnish with some chopped blueberries.