What do you do when life gets a little crazy, and you’re feeling the need to slow down, let go, simplify, back off, say no, stress less, chill out and re-balance?
Ignore all the stuff you’re supposed to be doing, and BAKE, of course!! Ha ha, well, that’s what I do! Turn off the phone, put on some music, and bake. Something fun and creative and not just something that I ‘have’ to make for the next meal… Something like PIE!!
Baking is so therapeutic, and eating the results is pretty therapeutic too. So seeing I have 5kg of sweet, juicy, local strawberries sitting here staring at me, I decided a strawberry lattice topped pie would be perfect. And just to make it more of a challenge, a grain free, dairy free, GAPS and Paleo friendly strawberry jelly pie! Oh yeah.
(You’ve never heard of ‘strawberry jelly pie’? No, neither have I, but it worked so well that now it’s a ‘thing’. Just sayin’.)
I was also going to share with you my thoughts on simplifying, cutting back on all the ‘urgent stuff to do’, and reducing stress, but I’m simplifying so much that I think I’ll just give you the recipe and be done with it. I mean, that’s what you came here for, right? But if you’d like to share your thoughts on getting so caught up in ‘doing’ that everything gets way too overwhelming and the joy of doing what you love is lost, just click here. We had a great chat about it on FB.
Ok, so here’s the recipe! If you’ve never made a lattice pie top and it seems a bit too tricky, (I promise it really isn’t), you can watch a video showing how to do it here. Just work carefully and make sure the pastry is chilled, and if a strip breaks just press it back together and keep going. But if you’re in a rush, by all means just roll out the pastry for the top, slap it over the filling, crimp the edges, cut a few slits for air, brush with egg wash, and bake. Easy peasy.
PS If you were hoping to eat a slice of this hot out of the oven, I’m sorry… it is a ‘jelly’ pie, so it needs to set and be served cold! It will kind of ooze everywhere if you try to cut it hot, just so you know.
- 300g blanched almond meal
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbspns (30g) honey (or preferred sweetener, to taste)
- 30g coconut oil (or butter), plus extra for greasing dish
- 5 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
- 3 Tbspns honey (or preferred sweetener, to taste)
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tbspns gelatine powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbspn water for egg wash (optional, for golden colour)
- extra ground cinnamon for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease a 20cm pie dish with extra coconut oil or butter and set aside.
- Place all pastry ingredients into Thermomix bowl and mix 20 sec/speed 4.
- Remove dough from bowl with spatula (it will be quite sticky) and divide in two.
- Wrap half the dough in baking paper and place in fridge to chill.
- Roll out other half of dough to 5mm thick on a silicon mat, with a piece of baking paper on top of dough to stop it sticking to rolling pin. (Alternatively, press dough into pie dish instead of rolling out.)
- Press pastry into greased pie dish, trim edges, prick all over with fork, and cook 15 mins at 180C. Set aside to cool.
- Place 2 cups of the strawberries into Thermomix bowl with honey, lemon juice, gelatine and cinnamon. Cook 7 mins/100C/rev/speed 1.
- Remove to a large mixing bowl and stir in remaining strawberries. Set aside.
- Roll out chilled pastry to 5mm thick, between silicon mat and baking paper. Cut into 1 inch strips with a bread knife. (Cut very gently so you don't damage silicon mat.)
- Spoon filling into cooled pie crust, and lay pastry strips carefully over the top of the filling, weaving together as you go to form lattice pie top. (If you need to see how this is done, watch the video mentioned in my comments above.)
- Brush pastry with egg wash, sprinkle with a little cinnamon, and place into oven.
- Bake 15-18 mins until golden.
- Cool for a little while, then place in freezer to chill for an hour, to set the 'jelly' (or in fridge for 2-3 hours).
- Serve cold, with whipped coconut cream or coconut ice cream!
- Apple & Strawberry Pie - 3 apples, peeled, deseeded and sliced in 5mm slices; place in Thermomix bowl with honey, lemon juice, gelatine and 1 tsp cinnamon, and cook as above; remove to bowl and stir in 2 cups halved strawberries. Assemble and bake as above.
- Apple Pie - 6 apples, peeled, deseeded and sliced in 5 mm slices; place all in Thermomix bowl with honey, lemon juice, gelatine and 1 tsp cinnamon, and cook as above; assemble and bake as above.
- Egg Free Variation - replace eggs in pastry with 2 Tbspns milled chia seeds mixed with 6 Tbspns water. Brush pastry with milk of choice (e.g. almond milk) instead of egg wash.
- Vegan Variation - replace eggs as above, and use 2 tsp agar powder instead of gelatine in filling.
- To whip coconut cream - place a tin of thick coconut cream in the fridge and leave overnight. Next day, remove the very thick cream from the top and place in a chilled bowl. Whisk with a hand whisk until smooth. (If you blend in the Thermomix it will heat up too much and won't stay firm.) Can add a little honey or maple syrup and vanilla if you like.